Recognition by Different Bodies
· KMC was fully recognized by the Nepal Medical Council at its 19th/2060 General Executive Meeting on 20th Feb. 2004.
· In July 2002 the Sri Lanka Medical Council gave provisional recognition to Kathmandu Medical College. Later the Sri Lanka Medical Council gave full recognition on 19th March, 2004 after the Nepal Medical Council gave this.
· Kathmandu University changed the affiliation of KMC from temporary to permanent on 16th April 2004.
· Kathmandu Medical College has also been listed in the WHO's World Directory of Medical Schools - Electronic format as from June 2002.
· In August, 2003, the Kathmandu Medical College was listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED). As a result of this, the students of KMC are eligible to sit for the USMLE examination.
· MBBS Graduates of KMC are eligible for limited registration in the UK and can sit for the PLAB Test.
· As from March 2005, after a Sri Lankan student graduated from KMC, Sri Lanka Medical Council has approved the MBBS degree awarded by KU.
· Correspondence is underway to get recognition from other countries.
· The College of Physician and Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP) accredited KMC in January 2008 for training for the Fellowship in the areas of Anaesthesia, Medicine, Obs/Gynae, Paediatrics and Surgery. Subsequently in November 2009 the college also recognized the departments of Orthopaedics and ENT.
· The Nepal Medical Council allowed KMC to start PG studies in clinical areas from February 2009.
· Graduates of KMC are now eligible to apply for a California Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) or a Physician's and Surgeon's Certificate as from August 2012.