Vacancy for Data Manager in NIRC
Publish Date: 2018-10-12 10:00:00
Last Date: 2018-10-21 15:00:00
Post Title Data Manager
NIRC Directors and Management Board of Nepal Injury Research Centre
Based at: The post will be largely based in Kathmandu Medical College Pre-Clinical campus, Duwakot, Bhaktapur, Nepal.
The Data Manager will have the central role in the management of data in the centre with the direction and support of a Technical Advisor in the UK. S/he is also responsible to the NIRC Nepal Director in any management Issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, designing and maintaining databases and websites using a variety of tools
- Designing and managing the REDCap Database (https://www.project-redcap.org/ ), including the setting up the infrastructure for both the web and database servers for REDcap
- Supervising and maintaining the Data Collection system
- Developing and managing mobile phone/tablet data collection database & systems
- Supervising data checking and cleaning and producing error reports for field staff
- Preparing training manuals and providing training to Field staff/data entry team about server and mobile data collection systems
- Designing Questionnaire/Tools and providing training on using these
- Generating ad hoc and standard reports and research data downloads (e.g. using STATA, SPSS)
- Knowledge and skills to set up Linux servers (Apache and PHP 5.1.2 or higher) and ensuring that all relevant security patches are up to date.
- Knowledge to set up and maintain MYSQL 5.0+ databases, establishing the servers for REDcap.
- Skills to configure SMTP email servers, knowledge to set up and maintain MYSQL 5.0+ databases, establishing the servers for REDCap, skills to configure SMTP email servers.
- Skills to integrate web and database servers, setting up firewalls as required, providing SSL certificates and ensure all data transferred between the web and database server is encrypted (HTTPS).
- Arrange daily database back-ups and enable binary logs (in order to restore databases to a specific point in time),
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data centre, data mining, cloud environment and monitoring equipment.
- Overall System management Systems Planning and collecting the systems resources
- Execute in-house training
- VPN /NAS/Firewall configuration
- Execute ICT policy and update regular basis
- Software /Network /Hardware AMC
- Conduct meeting with senior management and within the department
- Track license and support contracts to include notification of renewal timeframe to management.
- The Data Manager will take overall responsibility for facilitating computing within the NIRC including basic troubleshooting of IT problems
Educational level Batchelor Degree or equivalent in Computer Science
(ii) Knowledge Skills Experience
Working knowledge of research relevant software including:
• Enthusiasm to learn how to set up, run and support REDCap at KMC
• Good software skills: in depth knowledge of Excel and Access (or other databases)
• Excellent Word processing skills (Word) (in English and Nepali)
• Excellent written and spoken English (to enable them to access the REDCap online forum to look for information or raise questions)
• Excellent analytical/logic and problem-solving skills
• Able to design/document databases
• Able to think creatively regarding ways of using current functionality
• Good understanding of research methods and requirements of researchers to collect high quality data
• Prepared to learn how to setup, run and support the REDCap mobile app
• Experience of working in a research environment
• Experience of using Reference management software (e.g. Endnote)
The post will be available until the end of June 2020 under the current funding.
Interested candidates are requested to send letter of interest stating how they meet the skills and qualifications for the post, along with their Curriculum Vitae (CV) by email to Prof. Dr. Sunil Kumar Joshi at: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of 21st October 2018. Application letters should explain how the candidate meets the skills and qualifications required for the post. Late applications will not be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.