Nepal Injury Research Centre (NIRC), collaboration between Kathmandu Medical College (KMC) and the University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol, UK funded by the UK National Institute for Health Research
Nepal Director, NIHR Global Health Research Group on Nepal Injury Research: Prof. Dr. Sunil Kumar Joshi, Head of Department of Community Medicine
Nepal Injury Research Centre (NIRC) is a national level research centre to address the growing problem of injuries affecting the people of Nepal has been established in Kathmandu Medical College (KMC), Duwakot.
The Nepal Injury Research Centre is a four-year research collaboration funded by the UK National Institute for Health Research Global Health Research Programme. The NIRC has been established through a grant from the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) in the UK. It is a collaboration between the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) and Kathmandu Medical College, in cooperation with other organizations. The Nepal Injury Research Centre was officially launched on 6th September 2018.
NIRC aims to generate evidence to help reduce the burden of injury mortality and morbidity through changes to policy and practice. The studies that NIRC would conduct are across four themes:
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Evidence through data
- Effective and cost-effective interventions
- Enhancing capacity and enabling sustainability
Our collaborators include Mother and Infant Research Activities (MIRA), the Nepal Red Cross Society, Swatantrata Abhiyan, Safe Crossings, the Centre for injury Prevention Research Bangladesh (CIPRB) and the University of Bristol, UK.
How is the Nepal Injury Research Centre funded?
We are funded by the UK Government through a series of grant awards:
1) The National Institute of Health Research, Global Health Research Programme. July 2017 – June 2021
2) The National Institute for Health Research Global Health Policy and Systems Research Programme Development Award. March 2020-May 2021.
3) University of the West of England, Global Challenges Research Fund QR award. August 2018- July 2021
Official launching of NIRC on 6th September 2018
Please visit the following below to learn about all research activities being conducted under NIRC: https://www.nirc.org.np/